Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Enjoying Life Now

I've decided that enjoying life is about taking things one day at a time.

It's easy to say, but hard to do. Especially for me.

I recently took a personality test called Strengths Finder 2.0.  It revealed some interesting things that I should have already known about myself.
My strengths were identified as: Futuristic, Communication, Includer, Adaptable, Empathic.

Some of these came as no big surprise, like empathic. I have always felt like I could read others feelings. Creepy as that is.
Communication is where I talk constantly. When I'm doing training with new hires I give them every bit of information they might possibly need. Why not? I wish someone had told me all that when I started.
Includer to me is a given in life. I don't like to judge people. Everyone is there own person, its not my right to exclude someone for who they are.
Adaptable was a hard one to grasp at first. I hate change its annoying and stressful. Then as I read the description I realized, its not how you feel about the change its how you react. I try to keep a cool head, especially at work. Someone needs to stay calm and think of a solution. There are plenty of times I wig out about stuff, but I can usually regain control of myself and come up with a solution.
Futuristic trait shows me gazing hopefully into the future constantly. Usually for no good reason and without any logic to it. I'm just always waiting for that next big thing. Graduation, College, Finding a major, College graduation, Getting a job, Marriage, Moving.

And now what? A baby? A house? A cool vacation? What do I have to look forward to? To think about? To dream about? Now that I have no specific goal, my mind wanders aimlessly wanting to grab onto something tangent.
It all makes my head spin and makes me feel uncomfortable. Its almost as if there are too many possibilities and I can't think of them all. I can't get too excited for something that isn't going to happen. How am I suppose to know when or if something will occur?

AHHHH! My brain explodes daily thinking about our future.

Its disappointing to me that sometimes I am so concerned about the future I miss out on the awesome life that I have now.

This is why I am trying to live day by day. Looking forward to smaller things. Like seeing a friend or cooking a fun meal or going to church. This helps tame the crazy thoughts that scream through my head.

No comments: