Friday, January 9, 2009

Dressing the best

So I am happy to announce that I found my wedding dress.

And bought it.

Well half down anyway.

I am so excited!

The story is a bit strange...
My sister, that lives in California, was home for Christmas so my mom was determined that she was going to see this wedding dress that I had tried on the last time that we went shopping. She called the bridal shop at the beginning of New Year's week. They were going to be closed on Wednesday and Thursday for the holidays. Unfortunately I had to work Monday and Tuesday, and I was leaving to go to Cary to visit Paul and his parents. So it was looking as if the modeling wasn't going to happen.

I could tell she was pretty bummed out about it. I decided to make a detour on my way to Cary and stop in Concord to try it on for her. (It was more for my mom then Lindsay, who probably didn't care either way.)

We met up at the bridal shop as soon as it opened on Friday. We all got piled in the little house and I explained to the ladies I wanted to try on this dress again for my sister. They had the style number on file from my last visit. We began to look through the dresses in the little bridal room. The attendant looked a little flustered as she couldn't find the dress anywhere. I shrugged not expecting anything strange. I work in retail and I know nothing is ever where its suppose to be. She came back in dragging the long dress behind her. I jumped into it in the dressing room (literally I have to jump into it). She disappeared as soon as she got me zipped up.

My mom and sister where admiring the dress when she slinked back in the doorway. I was standing on a little platform and she looked up at me and said, "We need to talk about this dress." My heart shank. What does that mean, I thought silently. "Uh huh" I replied. She proceeded to explained to me that the designer has decided as of the end of the year to discontinue making this style. I'm sure all the blood disappeared from my face.

She quickly began to explain my 'options' for getting this dress if I was serious that this was "the dress". I nodded and looked back my mom, who agreed. Well I could pay the designer a $50 fee to cut the dress for a limited time. Or I could buy the sample model I currently had on my body. The woman explained that I could get a 20% discount on the sample model. I stared at the dress, looking back and forth at it and the mirrors. Then I furrowed my brow and looked back at my mom and cocked my head at her. "Am I missing the reason why I shouldn't buy the sample model?" She shrugged, she thought it was fine if I was ok with it. So I looked at the sales person and replied, "I want it then!" I put half the amount down. They needed to keep it for a bit to take out the zipper panel in the back and check and make sure there were no defects and all the beading was fine.

I finally stepped off the platform and exclaimed I had to get out of this thing that I was sweating now! Ha!

On the way out my sister ran into one of her high school friends who happened to be wedding dress shopping with her sister as well.

Random...


I now know this the right dress. I am doing the right thing. I am so ready.

No comments: